(Visit Stanley's main games page, Wine Dark Sea Games. Or visit our home page,
by Stanley E. Anderson
During the persecution of the early Church in Rome, the catacombs were used by Christians as a hiding place, and services were held deep underground. Antonius, pictured above, has secretly made his way to the catacomb entrance. Can you help him to find his way to the altar? The Greek letters at the end of passageways indicate entrances to adjoining passages, so that you may "jump" to any other tunnel marked with the same letter.
Look for the solution to Catacombing later on this page.
Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth
By Stanley E. Anderson and Angelee Sailer Anderson
Below are two groups of Biblical quotations, the first from the Old Testament and second from the New. Each quotation has been split into two parts and the parts mixed up so that the first part of one quotation ends with the second part of another (quotations from diferent Testaments are not intermingled). Can you restore the quotations to their original form?
- And God said, Let there be light, as the sparks fly upward.
- In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat until your beards be grown.
- For dust thou art, save one little ewe lamb.
- There were giants in the pot.
- Now there arose a new king over Egypt: and there was light.
- I have been a stranger who knew not Joseph.
- The eternal God is thy refuge against Sisera.
- The stars in their courses fought upon the wings of the wind.
- Cast thy bread upon the waters, and unto dust shalt thou return.
- She brought forth butter bread.
- Yea, he did fly in the earth in those days.
- The poor man had nothing in a lordly dish.
- Tarry at Jericho in a strange land.
- There is death: for thou shalt find it after many days.
- Man is born unto trouble, and underneath are the everlasting arms.
Look for the solution to Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth later on this page.
- Man shall not live by bread alone, but by gnashing of teeth.
- Almost thou persuadest me to be God.
- Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, is the root of all evil.
- He shall rule Nazareth.
- The dogs eat of the crumbs, and preach the gospel to every creature.
- God wished for the day.
- Can any good thing come out of a Christian?
- Resist the devil, Satan.
- Go ye into all the world, and compel them to come in.
- The love of money is within you.
- Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds are ordained of God.
- The kingdom of God is love.
- For many are called which fall from their masters' table.
- Love swine.
- I have married a wife, and shall be in danger of hell fire.
- Well done, thou cheerful giver.
- Put on the whole armor of your enemies.
- They cast four anchors out of the stern, and every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
- But many that are first shall be last; but few are chosen.
- The powers that be were evil.
- There shall be weeping and therefore I cannot come.
- Go out into the highways and hedges and he will flee from you.
- Neither cast your pearls before them with a rod of iron.
- God loveth a good and faithful servant.
- Get thee behind me, and the last shall be first.
Speaking in Tongues
by Stanley E. Anderson
Father Babel recently acquired a voice-actuated word processor for his office. This amazing machine will print out words spoken into a microphone. Unfortunately, as Father Babel discovered, the software still has some bugs in it. When he tried dictating some Biblical phrases to the computer, it printed out what seemed at first glance to be gibberish. Upon examining the print-out more closely, however, Father Babel realized that the printed words, when spoken, did bear a striking resemblance to the original phrases. For example, the phrase "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth" was printed out by the computer as "INN THE BEE KIN INGOT CRAY DEAD THE HAVE IN HAND DEARTH." Father Babel is unsure whether to demand his money back or sign up for diction lessons.
Can you determine the original Biblical excerpts from the following nonsense phrases?
Look for the solution to Speaking in Tongues later on this page.
- FORGOT SOLE OF THE WHIRL DADDY GAPE FIZZ OWN LEA BEE GARDEN SUN
- BEE HOLE DICE TANNED HAT THUD OR REND NOCK
- FEY THIS THUS HUBS TAN SUB THINK SOAPED FORE
- WEARY OAR TRAY SHORE HIS DARE WELL YORE HARD BAY ALL SEW
- AWL WHEEL HIKE CHEAP HALF CAW NEST RAY
- REED CHOICE SIN DULL OR DOLL WHEEZE
by Stanley E. Anderson and Angelee Sailer Anderson
In early Hebrew writing, words were represented only by the consonants while the vowels remained understood. Since much of the written material was committed to memory, this presented less of a problem than it might today. Imagine that the English language were written in the same way. Then the name "JESUS" might look like "JSS." Below are words and phrases from the Bible (King James Version) that are used in some way to refer to God. However, a dash has been substituted wherever a vowel would normally occur. See if you can fill in the blanks.
Look for the solution to Vowel Play later on this page.
- -LPH- -ND -M-G-
- -NC--NT -F D--S
- BR--D -F L-F-
- CH--F C-RN-RST-N-
- D-S-R- -F -LL N-T--NS
- -V-RL-ST-NG G-D
- C-NS-M-NG F-R-
- G--D SH-PH-RD
- G-D -F H--V-N
- GR--T H-GH PR--ST
- H-L- -N- -F -SR--L
- H--R -F -LL TH-NGS
- K-NG -F TH- J-WS
- L-RD -F S-B--TH
- S-C-ND -D-M
- S-N -F D-V-D
- D--R -F TH- SH--P
- -L SH-DD--
- F--THF-L W-TN-SS
- F--TH-R -F L-GHTS
- L-RD -F GL-R-
- L-RD -F H-STS
- H-L- GH-ST
- H--V-NL- F-TH-R
- H--D -F TH- CH-RCH
- - -M
- J-ST -N-
- L-MB -F G-D
- L-GHT -F TH- WORLD
- M-ST H-GH G-D
- PR-NC- -F P--C-
- R--T -F D-V-D
- S-N -F -G-D
- R-D --T -F J-SS-'S ST-M
- S-N -F R-GHT---SN-SS
- S-N -F M-N
- TR-- V-N-
- L--N -F TH- TR-B- -F J-D-H
- TH- W--, TH- TR-TH, -ND TH- L-F-
- BR-GHT -ND M-RN-NG ST-R
- PR--ST -FT-R TH- -RD-R -F M-LCH-S-D-K
- TH- R-S-RR-CT--N -ND TH- L-F-
- --TH-R -ND F-N-SH-R -F --R F--TH
- -P-STL- -F --R PR-FF-S--N
- BL-SS-D -ND -NL- P-T-NT-T-
- C-PT--N -F --R S-LV-T--N
by Stanley E. Anderson
Some of the names or descriptions of God from the last puzzle have been made into anagrams. That is, the letters have been scrambled to make a nonsense word or phrase. (For example, the letters in "MERE DEER" can be rearranged to form the word "REDEEMER.") Can you unscramble the following list?
Look for the solution to Anagrammatical later on this page.
- A GNOME HAD A PAL
- I'D FANCY A STONE
- BAIL OFFERED
- GO ORDER IBM
- OVID'S NO FAD
- OR HALF THE GIFTS
- JUST HERS (SIC)
- MULE MANE
- NICE CAPE FOR P.E.
- SOFA MOAN
- HEW HAY
- HE IS AS ME
- SOLD FOR SHOT
Solution to Catacombing
The altar is reached by following the passages which lead consecutively to the letters I, C, Q, U, S. These letters, spelling the Greek words for "fish," form an acronym for "Jesus Christ God Son Saviour" used by early Christians.
Solution to Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth:
- "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light." (Genesis 1:3)
- "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread." (Genesis 3:19)
- "For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." (Genesis 3:19)
- "There were giants in the earth in those days." (Genesis 6:4)
- "Now there arose a new king over Egypt, who knew not Joseph." (Exodus 1:8)
- "I have been a stranger in a strange land." (Exodus 2:22)
- "The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." (Deuteronomy 33:27)
- "The stars in their courses fought against Sisera." (Judges 5:20)
- "Cast thy bread upon the waters; for thou shalt find it after many days." (Ecclesiastes 11:1)
- "She brought forth butter in a lordly dish." (Judges 5:25)
- "Yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind." (Psalm 18:10)
- "The poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb." (2nd Samuel 12:3)
- "Tarry at Jericho until your beards be grown." (2nd Samuel 10:5)
- "There is death in the pot." (2nd Kings 4:40)
- "Man is born unto trouble, as the sparks fly upward." (Job 5:7)
- "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4)
- "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian." (Acts 26:28)
- "Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22)
- "He shall rule them with a rod of iron." (Revelation 2:27)
- "The dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their master's table." (Matthew 15:27)
- "God is love." (1st John 4:8)
- "Can any good things come out of Nazareth?" (John 1:46)
- "Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)
- "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)
- "The love of money is the root of all evil." (1st Timothy 6:10)
- "Men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." (John 3:19)
- "The kingdom of God is within you." (Luke 17:21)
- "For many are called, but few are chosen." (Matthew 22:14)
- "Love your enemies." (Matthew 5:44)
- "I have married a wife, and, therefore, I cannot come." (Luke 14:20)
- "Well done, good and faithful servant." (Matthew 25:21)
- "Put on the whole armor of God." (Ephesians 6:11)
- "They cast four anchors out of the stern, and wished for the day." (Acts 27:29)
- "But many that are first shall be last, and the last shall be first." (Matthew 19:30)
- "The powers that be are ordained of God." (Romans 13:1)
- "There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 8:12)
- "Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in." (Luke 14:23)
- "Neither cast your pearls before swine." (Matthew 76:6)
- "God loveth a cheerful giver." (2nd Corinthians 9:7)
- "Get thee behind me, Satan." (Matthew 16:23)
Solution to Speaking in Tongues
- For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son. (John 3:16)
- Behold, I stand at the door and knock. (Revelation 3:20)
- Faith is the substance of things hoped for. (Hebrews 11:1)
- Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (Matthew 6:21)
- All we like sheep have gone astray. (Isaiah 53:6)
- Rejoice in the Lord always. (Phillipians 4:4)
Solution to Vowel Play
- ALPHA AND OMEGA
- ANCIENT OF DAYS
- BREAD OF LIFE
- CHIEF CORNERSTONE
- DESIRE OF ALL NATIONS
- EVERLASTING GOD
- CONSUMING FIRE
- GOOD SHEPHERD
- GOD OF HEAVEN
- GREAT HIGH PRIEST
- HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL
- HEIR OF ALL THINGS
- KING OF THE JEWS
- LORD OF SABAOTH
- SECOND ADAM
- SON OF DAVID
- DOOR OF THE SHEEP
- EL SHADDAI
- FAITHFUL WITNESS
- FATHER OF LIGHTS
- LORD OF GLORY
- LORD OF HOSTS
- HOLY GHOST
- HEAVENLY FATHER
- HEAD OF THE CHURCH
- I AM
- JUST ONE
- LAMB OF GOD
- LIGHT OF THE WORLD
- MOST HIGH GOD
- PRINCE OF PEACE
- ROOT OF DAVID
- SON OF GOD
- ROD OUT OF JESSE'S STEM
- SUN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
- SON OF MAN
- TRUE VINE
- LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH
- THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE
- BRIGHT AND MORNING STAR
- PRIEST AFTER THE ORDER OF MELCHISEDEK
- THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE
- AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH
- APOSTLE OF OUR PROFESSION
- BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTATE
- CAPTAIN OF OUR SALVATION
Solution to Anagrammatical
- BABA = ABBA
- A GNOME HAD A PAL = ALPHA AND OMEGA
- I'D FANCY A STONE = ANCIENT OF DAYS
- BAIL OFFERED = BREAD OF LIFE
- GO ORDER IBM = BRIDEGROOM
- OVID'S NO FAD = SON OF DAVID
- OR HALF THE GIFTS = FATHER OF LIGHTS
- JUST HERS (SIC) = JESUS CHRIST
- MULE MANE = EMMANUEL
- NICE CAPE FOR P.E. = PRINCE OF PEACE
- SOFA MOAN = SON OF MAN
- HEW HAY = YAHWEH
- HE IS AS ME = MESSIAH
- SOLD FOR SHOT = LORD OF HOSTS
If anyone would like to reprint these puzzles, we request that you obtain our permission by E-mailing us at email@example.com
Return to Wine Dark Sea Games
Return to our home page, Sangreal.